As one of the UK’s leading experts at line bending we are often asked the most suitable plastics for line bending. We’d always encourage anyone with a line bending project to talk to us first as machinery, techniques and the nature of the project means we can offer bespoke advice on the suitable plastics for line bending.
Here is a general list that might help determine the preferred plastics for line bending projects.
- Polymethyl methacrylate (acrylic) also known as Perspex and Plexiglas PMMA Available as sheets and rods, clear and coloured. Examples of use: machine guards, safety screens, display stands, boat windows and hatches, jewellery, signs.
- Polyvinyl chloride PVC Examples of use: garden furniture, binders, pens, cling film, buckets, guttering, plastic pipes, window frames, doors, toys, imitation leather, rain coats, bags.
- Polycarbonate PC Available as sheets, rods and extruded sections. Very light, 1/6th the weight of glass. Very tough. Examples of use: Bullet proof windows, clear roofing, CDs, DVDs, spectacle lenses.
- Acrylonitrile-butadiene- styrene ABS Chemical resistant, tough with good impact strength Examples of use: automobile instrument panels, radiator grills, fittings for construction industry, pipes, sewing machines, boats, mobile homes, computers, radios, TVs, telephones.
- Polyethylene terephthalate copolymer PETG Available as sheets and extruded sections. Stronger than acrylic, less strong than polycarbonate. Examples of use: medical, electronic and food packaging, packaging for soft drinks, bottled water, fruit- based beverages and iced teas.
- Polystyrene PS Available in sheet and extruded sections. Examples of use: disposable cutlery, plastic model cars, toys, CD and DVD cases, cases for electronic products, rulers, combs. Also used as expanded polystyrene, for packaging, insulation, composite with concrete.
- High-density polyethylene HDPE Relatively high strength, tough, flexible, has the ability to “relax” under stress. Examples of use: wood-plastic composites, blow moulded hollow goods, garden furniture, automobile fuel tanks, drums, underground pipes, flexible packaging, and household goods.
- Polypropylene PP Resistant to most forms of physical damage, including impact and freezing, resistant to corrosion and chemical leaching. May be joined by heat fusion. Its resistance to fatigue enables it to be used for flexible (living) hinges. Examples of use: moulded products, bottles, insulation for electric cables, stationary folders. Flip-top bottles, cases and boxes.
©Lazlo Lipot. Used by Permission